Thursday, May 7, 2015

Yikes! All that glitters is not GOLD on Carnival anymore!

So earlier this week Carnival announced changes to its member travel rewards program known as the "VIFP" Program. It was announced that Gold members of the program would no longer be invited to the traditional "Past Guest Party" which would be held on cruises of 5 days or longer. Starting in mid-May this event would be for Diamond and Platinum members only. Carnival Brand Ambassador, John Heald, stating that the reason for the change was due to the sheer volume of Gold members on any given cruise. Citing that ships have begun holding two events just to accommodate the number of Gold and up cruisers. For those who aren't in the know the "Past Guest Party" was one of the events many cruisers looked forward to on a cruise. At this event you were entitled to an open drink program and the drinks flowed freely! (Let's be honest… this IS a staple of the cruise world whether or not you are a heavy drinker!) In lieu of being invited to this party, now Gold cruisers will receive a drink coupon (up to a $9 value) which can be used at any bar on the ship…on the last day of the voyage. This resulted in a furor from MANY Carnival cruisers who took to the internet and to Brand Ambassador Heald to express their disdain for this latest development.  
The general sentiment being that Gold cruisers were not valued for their brand loyalty anymore. And to be fair, in order to achieve Gold status, you do have to have 25 cruise days under your belt. Which can be between 4-6 cruises for many. This is a pretty solid investment and it stands to reason that taking away one's perks is a poor way for a company to express its appreciation. Especially when you consider that Gold is a fairly long level to get through. One stays Gold from 25 days at sea all the way until they pass 74 days. The Past Guest Party was also seen as the biggest perk of this particular level. At this level you got to go to the party and enjoy an open bar, and you are also given a gold pin on each sailing.
I can begin to understand my fellow cruiser's anger at being told "Hey, you are no longer exclusive enough to come to our open-bar party, but here's a coupon for a single drink in exchange… this is equitable right?!" And let's also remember this comes not long after Carnival announced only a few months ago that they also did away with the free drink coupon that could be used for an alcoholic beverage at brunch (but HAD to be used in the Main Dining Room). The coupon was replaced by a free bottle of water in your cabin. These changes are understandably irritating to many.
As I mentioned, the internet has erupted and John Heald has clearly heard the masses and their overall opinion on the change. Promising that this feedback is being passed along to the 'beards' or those in charge of these changes. While I don't condone some of the language and manners in which this anger was expressed (often no better than six year old children throwing a tantrum), my question becomes- if Carnival was to decide to toss us Gold cruisers (of which I am one) a proverbial bone, what would a good, reasonable, equitable perk be for Gold members to receive instead of the Past Guest Party?
Some thoughts I had:
1)      Discounted or Free (once per cruise) Steakhouse dinner
2)      One free bag of laundry
3)      One free drink per day
4)      Free 8x10 portrait
5)      Free Bingo entry

Something that truly wouldn't cost the cruise line that much, wouldn't over or under value the Gold member's, but feel like a fitting replacement for an event that was busting at the seams. I put it to you my fellow cruisers- What do you believe would be a reasonable way for Carnival to show it's gratitude for the loyalty of its Gold level members?

12 comments:

  1. I like the 1 drink a day option but for those who get DOU card from casino or buy cheers this would not be good. So my vote would be for a buy 1 get 1 free steakhouse dinner, free photo, or free bingo entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about only Gold can buy FTTF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so gold should get things that platinums don't? Platinum guests do not receive a complimentary steakhouse meal. I believe Diamond does. & one free drink A DAY? I understand that they should get SOMETHING.. but I feel like those suggestions are a little overboard. Why not a separate party for red and gold with 1/2 price drinks for an hour or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about revamp the whole program. I feel there is too big of a jump between Gold and Platinum. Eventually all these gold members are going to become Platinum and we will be back at square one again, too many people for the Past Guest Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also wondered whether it would be better if cruise lines perks programs were geared more like airline travel- every nautical-mile sailed earns your points towards discounts on future cruises...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lower the amount of days to reach Platinum status!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hearing that the ONLY reason for this change is too many people at the Gold/Platinum/Diamond party. I say give the Platinum/Diamond the party with free drinks and food, as always. But also give the Golds a party with drinks only. After all, these parties were always held in the late afternoon right before dinner. (But it's really all about saving money.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting to me because I am platinum and at our last past guest party where gold members were invited the theater was only half full.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Gold member who has to get about 17 more days in before I will become a Platinum member AND a smoker (non-smokers don't turn your nose up at me!) who previously purchased a cabin with a balcony (at a considerably higher price) so that I could enjoy a relaxing time with a cocktail and a cigarette while sailing). NOW you can't smoke on the balconies AND they want to take some of my other privileges from me? I haven't sailed since they changed the rules for smoking on the balconies (not because of the rule, just haven't been able to swing the cost of a cruise right now since they seem to be steadily going up in price). I did, however, think that my loyalty to the Carnival cruise line meant something but obviously it does not. How about I just take my money and fly directly to the island and spend my money there, or better yet, how about I use another cruise line for cruising? How about just making everything level across the board and not worry about having to scramble to get to higher tiers? I'm rethinking my valuable vacation time. The main reason for cruising was that I got see several places for the price of one trip. Maybe I'll just go directly to that place and get to know the area a little better than the 6 hours or so I get to spend there on a cruise. And with the very recent events of cruising trips going awry, this might be a better option for my vacation time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does sound as though you have reached a point where you are ready to enjoy land-cations! Perhaps it will be what you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete