This seems to be one of the bigger scenarios of frequent requests to cruise directors- Bending of rules for our military service men and women. Now first and foremost I want to get this out of the way- I have the utmost respect and admiration for anybody that chooses a career in our armed services, police, fire, and medical. I have a handful of friends and family who have served as well. I like to thank each of them for their service in maintaining our freedom's and protecting us. However does that job necessarily come with automatic perks in civilian life? [READ: Entitlements]
For any of you who read cruise boards, or notes to John Heald (or any other cruise directors you may follow); how many times have you see the request that sounds like this:
"My son (or daughter) is leaving for [insert branch of Military here] and we are taking one last vacation together on [insert date]. It's our last chance to spend some fun time together before they go into a career sacrificing and protecting the rest of us. I was hoping that because of their specialness that I could implore you to provide [insert special request here] and while you're at it we have 15 other people traveling with us can we all partake in [insert special request here] as this would make it special for my son (or daughter)."
Now there is always some variation to the letter and request but the basic foundation of the request is the same. Sometimes they want recognition on stage during a show, sometimes they want access to the Captain, sometimes they want cabin upgrades, etc. The question to me is this- Do cruise lines, and indeed any business in civilian life OWE these entitlements to service men and women? Is it even right that these requests are made (Often in this case) by the parents of said men and women?
In this writer's humble opinion the answer is no… and in talking with some folks that I know that have served, here is why: Common opinion is that its great if special perks and or entitlements are offered to individuals, but it dishonors the uniform in a way, if perks are just asked for or are expected. It's fabulous that many retailers and restaurants offer military discounts, but again these are OFFERED to the individuals, not asked for. Often times there are special military sales and discounts on cruises themselves… I don't follow the logic of why a cruise line should be expected to offer someone free tours, or free meals, or recognition on stage, or special meetings with the officers and captain of the ship. I think these requests are too bold and go too far, save for one- In the case of the adults-only areas of a ship where you must be 21 to access and enjoy, (Serenity Deck on Carnival cruise ships), I fully support a change in the rules that would allow for service men and women under 21 to use the space as well… though if you ask me I think anyone 18 and up should be allowed access to these facilities in general.
This might anger some parents but, I think if you want a treat for your son or daughter- it would mean more coming from you- pay for them to take a special tour, or pay for them to have an upgraded cabin or steakhouse meal. I would imagine your son or daughter would be even more thankful to you for what you provided them, than if you simply asked the cruise line to provide a handout.
No comments:
Post a Comment